Latest news

PENRITH EDEN MUSEUM, CUMBRIA

12/06/2011

Penrith & Eden Museum is situated in the beautiful lake district town of Penrith.  The museum is situated in the old Robinson’s School building on the High Street.  Robinsons School closed in April 1971 after a long and interesting history dating back to the year 1670. The school was named after William Robinson, a native of Penrith, who moved to London where he became a wealthy merchant, Freeman of the Grocer Company, and substantial property owner. In 1978 Penrith Civic Society, with the help of a Job Creation Programme, created a leisure area from the former school yard, thereby opening up a view of Thacka Beck which flows behind the building. The area was officially opened on 13 May 1978 by Miss Shaul, the Schools last Headmistress. During the years following its closure, plans were made for the old building to take on a new role as a museum and information centre. The collections from the old Penrith Museum which had been housed in the Town Hall prior to the old museums closure in the 1960s, were moved into Robinsons School and a small exhibition area set up in 1984. But it was not until 1990 that the newly extended and refurbished Penrith Museum opened alongside the Penrith Tourism Information Centre in the old building a continuing reminder of William Robinsons generosity to his native town of Penrith.  TESS are proud to be regular suppliers of Evolution and PrismHD cases to this quintessentially English museum.

Penrith-Museum

« back to shows